COVID19 Safe Borrowing Policy
Glasgow Tool Library is back in time to help with your winter home renovation and DIY needs! However, we have adapted our service in line with current health crisis advice. It is our priority to keep our membership, volunteers and staff safe whilst finding ways to support an economy of sharing and mutual learning. Please read through the policy to find out about the changes we are introducing and sign in agreement.
We’re opening with a limited-service Saturday from 11-1 pm, starting on 17th October 2020.
How does it work?
- Search our online catalogue and reserve tools by midnight Friday ahead of collection from our Civic House location.
- Collect tools on Saturday between 11 pm and 1 pm. Make sure to read any communication sent by our Tool Librarian before collecting, the service will respond in-line with government guidance for managing the current health crisis.
- Enjoy the tools for one week.
- Bring them back, cleaned and disinfected, the following Saturday between 11 – 1 pm. Ensuring the tools, all parts, and packaging are disinfected is now mandatory. This should be done before returning to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as well as seasonal viruses.
Please note the tool container at Civic House will NOT be open on any other days during this initial stage of reopening.
Initially, we only accept reservations one week at a time. You can still book multiple tools out but they will only be available for one week and they will not be available for reservation more than a week in advance. If you want to borrow a tool for a particular week, please wait until the depot closes at 1 pm Saturday (and we have assessed all our returns), you can then request to collect a tool the following week.
If you are unable to make the collection (eg. due to following COVID19 quarantine rules) please let us know so that we can make the tool available to other members, you will have the opportunity to re-reserve the tool for the next available Saturday in which it is safe to do so. We appreciate that if you are trapped in your house it may feel like the perfect opportunity to have that tool you require, however, our collective health is a priority and we celebrate your patience.
Tools will be unavailable for one week after a return whilst they are “quarantined”, they will be cleaned again just before going out. In these initial stages, the library will not provide extensions to loans to allow more folk the opportunity to get their hands on safe tools and get going on projects!
Whilst we reopen and gain our bearings we will be a little less flexible than under normal circumstances, but we are sure you understand the need. Please read the following list:
- We ask that you don’t borrow or return tools at this point if you have been sick, are experiencing ANY symptoms of COVID19, or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus in the last 14 days.
- Do not come to the tool library if you are quarantining eg. after traveling.
- Digital payments are preferable, but we will accept cash if required.
- Late tools will be fined.
- Renewals or extensions of loans will temporarily not be permitted.
- We accept reservations one week at a time. This is due to the necessity of quarantining previously borrowed items and allowing space for our gradual phased reopening.
- All tools should be fully cleaned and disinfected by members before return. This was previously a kind request, it is now mandatory
- Make sure to read any communication sent by our Tool Librarian before collecting.
- The tool library is in the green container opposite Civic House, if the door is closed please ring the Civic House buzzer, staff will be inside keeping warm.
- If there are others waiting please queue 2 meters apart, leaving room to exit the container.
- Only one member can enter the container at a time (except for those caring or supporting another).
- Wear something warm and prepare to wait a little longer than usual as we follow safety measures.
- Observe safe distancing measures with staff, volunteers, and members.
- Disinfect your hands and avoid touching your face.
- Wear a mask unless you are medically exempt.
- Bring a bag to collect your tools.
Sharing resources should be safe for everyone!
All tool library staff and volunteers will be wearing rubber gloves, face masks, or visors when dealing with the public and handling tools. But if you are experiencing ANY symptoms of COVID19 or have been in contact with someone who has, please do not collect tools from the tool library.