During this workshop we will work in groups to create two chairs working within the stylistic parameters of the art movement ‘De Stijl’.
We will take inspiration from chair designs by Gerrit Rietveld, Francis Jourdain, Josef Hoffmann, Eileen Gray, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Marcel Breuer, Frank Lloyd Wright and more.
- Introduction to Carpentry
- Understanding of tools and best practise techniques
- Basic principles of design and technical drawing
- Preparing cutting list
- Understanding of materials
- Scribing and marking wood
- Joint preparation and making
- Construction methods
We will cover
• the use of commonly used hand tools like chisels, block planes, combination squares, sliding bevels, marking / mortise gauges
• a variety of hand saws such as tenon, compass, panel and pull saws as well as the use of drills to create the correct holes needed for your assembly dowels.